Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Final Post

My name is Britany Fernandez Mar and I an a rising sophomore at Meredith College. I plan to major and Criminology and minor in Chemistry. I was interested in this course because I wanted to get the art requirement done, but also because I wanted some activity related course and not just literature about art. The most valuable thing about this course is being able to learn how to make the animals clam and really focus on helping the animals at the Wake County Animal Center be adopted. I had the opportunity to help adopt a bird at the shelter because I translated for a family that did not understand English. I was so excited that not only that the family was able to adopt a new pet, but also that I was offered a job to help the staff with translating. I learned how to understand and communicate with animals that before I would be scared of trying. For example I photographed all types of animals but I was scared of large dogs, and although I did not photograph much I would get in the kennel with them and try different techniques to get them calm. Also, I was able to become informed of how the shelter works on regular basis and how to use different camera techniques to get the best position of an animal. Helping through photographing can make an impact in the high overpopulation rate by having more adopters adopt animals and have those adopted animals neutered.  Having more animals neutered will decrease the rate of unwanted puppies and therefore allow the older animals to get adopted.
This image made a positive impact because this cat was adopted. His name is Stable, and he was adopted in the same week this photograph was taken and uploaded to the WCAS website.       

4 comments:

  1. That is so awesome that you were able to translate for the family that was interested in adopting a bird. It was interesting to see the different talents the volunteers and staff members possessed that positively impacted the animals lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great photo! The exposure is good, the highlights in the eye look good, and you can see all the detail in the fur. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britany, it's so awesome that you used your ability to speak two languages to help out the WCAS and adoption of an animal. They even offered you a job! I hope you take it :) It's a great opportunity to continue to work with animals and gain experience in communicating with others! Looks like you got a very valuable experience out of this course :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice summary! I am so glad you were able to use a number of your talents in this course! AND I hope you get that job at the shelter. Please use me as a reference!

    ReplyDelete