Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Three Steps

After volunteering at the Wake County Animal Center I have realize that the staff should be more involved with the volunteers. My first step would be to let the staff members actually have time an a specific task to just help the adopters. The reason I say this is because yesterday someone adopted a dog because I was there to guide her into which dog would fit her lifestyle. I think that because the most volunteers only know the dog or cat based on a sheet of paper than they do not really get assured to adopt the animal. My second step would be to have events that would inform people of the importance of neutering. This can be a where the whole county is invited even those who own pets already to stop have more pets than homes. My last step would be to give training classes for first-time adopters because that would eliminate any pets being returned because their owners could not handle them. The reason I came up with these steps is to make sure that the adopters are 100% sure that they can handle a new dog with all the responsibility. Both images are provided by the WCAS and show how all a component the shelter would have better results. 
animal_adoption_specials.jpg
Image provided by WCAS 6/12/2013 

sheltercatmonth.jpg
Image provided by WCAS 6/12/2013

4 comments:

  1. Brittany, I think initiating educational events about neutering and offering training for first-time adopters is a great idea! If these were to really happen, I think there would be a decrease in irresponsible breeding and relinquishment. Great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Pauline, thanks for the comment. I hate people that harm animals so informing them before they can hurt the animals is a much safer and effective way of adopting an animal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Education is so important in changing attitudes and behaviors. Very ambitious! I think you have identified three different areas that need attention. You could make an entire project out of just one of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Mary, I agree with you. I think having education is very important to make a choice on weather you can really adopt an animal and be responsible.

      Delete